About the course
The primary function of this course is to help school staff understand how they can assist parents to better support their children as learners. Topics explored include (1) using effective communication strategies to develop learning partnerships with families; (2) designing more productive homework assignments to involve families; (3) explaining classroom work and grading systems to parents; (4) developing schoolwide parent involvement plans; and (5) examining the role of school absenteeism on student learning.
• Examine the effect of societal changes on school, family and community relationships, and develop systems and processes that support student learning.
• Explore the attributes of resilient children and help families implement research-based supports to foster resiliency in children.
• Identify and utilize the basic principles of building an effective communication system.
• Examine schoolwide homework policies to craft effective homework practices.
• Implement successful school-community partnership programs.