About the course
The ability to express thoughts, ideas and understanding through writing is a life skill and a critical component of all writing standards. Students are expected to learn to produce clear and coherent writing appropriate to purpose, task, audience and content. The writing standards stress collaboration and support from teachers and students, and the research stresses the importance of writing frequently, utilizing the writing process and writing to learn as well as learning to write.
• Examine the connection of effective writing instruction to relevant writing standards.
• Review research and recommendations regarding effective writing instruction.
• Engage in the writing process.
• Understand the relationship of learning to write and writing to learn in the elementary grades (K-5).
• Practice engaging writing strategies you can use with your students tomorrow.