About the course
The ability to express thoughts, ideas and understanding through writing is a life skill and a critical component of writing within content area standards. In all content areas, students are expected to learn to produce clear and coherent writing appropriate to purpose, task and audience. The writing standards address the expectations of content area writing as students progress through the secondary grades. The research on effective writing instruction stresses the importance of the recursive nature of writing and the interdependence of writing to learn and learning to write.
• Examine the connection of effective writing instruction to relevant content area writing standards.
• Review research and recommendations regarding effective writing instruction within the content areas.
• Engage in the writing process within the content areas.
• Understand the relationship of learning to write and writing to learn in the secondary content areas: history/social studies, science and technical subjects, and English language arts.
• Practice engaging writing strategies you can use with your students tomorrow.